INTERESTED IN BECOMING A CARDINALBOTICS MEMBER FOR THE 2021-2022 FIRST ROBOTICS COMPETITION SEASON?
Applications for the 2021-2022 season have closed. Follow us on Instagram @cardinalbotics for more updates!
Who Are We?
We are a competitive robotics team of FIRST dedicated to promoting STEM education. We participate in the FIRST Robotics Competition, an international league of over 4000 fellow high school teams.
What Do We Do?
A Qualification Match that we played at the Silicon Valley Regional Competition during the 2018-2019 season
Design / Manufacturing / Programming
- We use Solidworks computer-aided design (CAD) software to model our robots.
- Our members machine and assemble our robots in-house, often using our CNC mill.
- We program robot controls, autonomous driving routines, and other applications in Java.
Business / Outreach / Media
- We raise and manage tens of thousands of dollars, much like a real business.
- We build team awareness with marketing and media, interacting with companies and our communities.
- We host fundraising events and robotics camps for youth.
Why You Should Join
Your First Season
During the Fall semester, you’ll have the opportunity to attend regional offseason competitions, where you’ll be able to get a feel for what it’s like to be at a FIRST robotics competition. You’ll also be able to meet people from other FRC teams!
The Internal Robotics Competition (IRC) is a rookie competition that we host at Lowell for all new members of the team. The purpose of the IRC is to help rookies familiarize themselves in our work environment, teach them how to use mechanical tools in the shop, and allow them to gain firsthand experience in competing for a robotics competition. Rookies will be placed in teams of 4-5, and they’ll have about 8 weeks to fully design, prototype and program a functioning robot to compete in the IRC. Each team will be given the same materials to work with, which we call the kit of parts (KOP). Rookies will also receive guidance from mentors through workshops in all subteam topics, which include CAD, programming, and more!
During Build Season, rookies will be able to shadow veterans in the subteam(s) of their choice and help out with building Field Elements, programming, and more! They will gain firsthand experience in their preferred subteams by working under veterans to further the progress of our robot.
- Robotics meets every day
- Friday meetings are mandatory
- Plan on your choice of 2+ other days of the week
- After school until 5:30 PM in the fall, 9:00 PM in the spring
- You don’t need to attend every day or for the entire time, but you should be working or learning productively when you’re here
How to Apply
- Fill out the Member Interest Form
- We will send the online application to you via email.
- Interview (5 min)
- Schedule to meet with us one day Sep. 3 – Sep. 5.
- Rules test
- Quiz on select portions of Deep Space rule book; details and sections to study will be emailed to you.
For the upcoming 2021-2022 school year, the Internal Robotics Competition (IRC) and other robotics activities will be held in person as we transition back to school.